Sunday, October 19, 2008

Olympic Distance this time.















RACE RESULTS
Event: ITU ASIAN O3 TRIATHLON
Venue: 2008SUBIC BAY FREEPORT, PHILIPPINES

Date: 2 August 2008 Start: 6:00am ASTC Technical Delegate: Mr. Balwant Singh Kler (MAS)

Data of Course
Swim: 1.5 km., Bike: 40 km., Run:10 km. Temperature: 6:00am, Water: 28 C, Weather: Shower

My first Olympic distance triathlon. This was intersting as the rain was on and off the night before and i have not experienced competing in the rain. Day of the race came with drizzle still coming down from the heavens above.

The gun went off and there we were making our way into the water for the ocean swim. So many people trying to get in front of one another. I just took my time and walked into the water avoiding the crowding of competitors trying to get a good position. I figured, i'll just find a hole while swimming and slowly take the position. It worked!

Making my way through the field, it was a pleasant surprise to find myself in the upper half of the swim. Out of the water to the bike transition, i felt good and strong. Got on the bike and made my way to Ocean Adventure way. Man, i'm still gasping for air trying to recover from the swim. Bike, bike, bike.. Now the road starts to incline. Good thing I was here a week ago to do some scouting. At times, my speed was down to 8kph on the climb. Ouch!!! My thighs are burning as I try to push harder on the climb to build more speed. Gave me a chance to know when to push and how many more climbs to expect. Nearing the crest, I ease up on the effort to recover and let my heart rate decrease a little and save some energy.

I see it!! I see it!! The turn around point. Now, its a descent. Speed has built to 63kph and the road is soaked with water all over the place. I figured I'd stop on the side after the turnaround point to check my brakes as they were making strange noises on my way down. Brakes are ok. Time to pedal back up but its not as bad as the past few kms. Now, its the main descent. WHOA!! Speed hitting almost 70kph and it's raining. Am i crazy? Just have to keep pedalling

Here comes the rain again. Now, its stronger and more water. Brrrrr. COLD NOW. How can I push going downhill with all the water on the road? Speed is now hitting 65kph on the downhill. Good lord. Have to keep going. Just pedal and pedal let's just see how things become. Alas.. out of the mountain and rolling hills. Relief!! Found a group of 3 guys I could ride with and make it more pleasant. Almost there. 10km before the transition point.

Transition to the run. Legs are wide awake. Time to run. Up the bridge. A little scary cause its slippery but have to push. Have to do 4 laps since its 2.5km per lap and need to do 10km. The run was boring. Luckily at the beginning of lap 2, i ran into a friend who was starting his run. We ran together to complete the 10km. Made it more interesting after all the stories that we talked about.

Another day, another time... train.. train.. train..

57 144 PHI 0:30:25 1:39:52 1:22:22 3:32:39

No comments: